Status of the miniSpartan3

Home Forums miniSpartan3 Status of the miniSpartan3

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  alepar 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

DogP
    Participant

Any update/news on the miniSpartan3? The page says delivery 15th of May… but still says “PreOrder” (and I haven’t gotten a shipping notice yet, so I assume it’s still in production).

So far, I’ve only seen a few details posted on its official page… I haven’t seen any pinouts, schematics, etc. posted to github or anything.

Has anyone heard anything? Any update from the Scarab Hardware guys?

Thanks,
    DogP

ACSinusoid
    Participant

^Bump^

I sent them two emails spaced a week apart and I still haven’t heard back from them. I too am waiting for any information at all concerning the order, but it seems information is in short supply right now.

Any info anyone?

DogP
    Participant

Yeah… I know delays happen, so I’m not really worried that I don’t have my board yet. The silence is just surprising… I figured they’d by hyping their new $25 FPGA board, and people would be excited about it! But even just a quick status update would be great.

I did email them about a month ago asking about pinouts (I want to make a PCB that’s compatible with both the miniSpartan6+ and the miniSpartan3 if possible), and quickly got a reply that they’d post the EAGLE library soon… but I haven’t heard anything since then.

On another note… I really hope they send a board to Hamsterworks. His miniSpartan6+ (and other FPGA) project pages have been great to follow, and I’d love to see some for the miniSpartan3.

DogP

DogP
    Participant

I see we finally got an update!

The product page now says: “Delivery will not be immediate — subject to production cycle.”

And I just got an email (I assume everyone that pre-ordered got it):
    “We would like to apologize for the delay. We had envisioned being able to deliver the kit by May 15th, but we are having to face a significant delay acquiring the Xilinx FPGA chips needed for the kit. Xilinx has changed the factory lead time for the chips recently, and we are now facing a delay of 2-3 months now in our production plans.”

So it looks like they’re expecting a July/August delivery. They offered a refund if you don’t want to wait… but personally, I’m willing to wait.

DogP

DogP
    Participant

Any update on the build status? We’re coming up on 3 months out from the original expected release date… just wondering if the boards are nearing completion, or if there are more delays.

Thanks,
    DogP

DogP
    Participant

Just saw an email saying that these should be shipping this Friday, so that’s kinda exciting. :) I was starting to get worried that maybe it got cancelled or something. Hopefully they post some documentation (and maybe a sample project or two) soon so we can quickly get started with it.

DogP

DogP
    Participant

I guess I’ll continue talking to myself. 😉 I see they updated the miniSpartan3 page… $4 more, green board, and the shop shows it in stock! I hope that means they’ll be shipping soon. :)

DogP

admin
    Keymaster

Hi DogP,

Soon you will be talking to miniSpartan3 :). It should be shipped already, I will check our tracking system and get back to you.
    The pre-order price was lower than the actual price, that’s why it is for $29 and $39 now.
    The green solder mask was a mistake in the manufacturing process and it was late to redo them. We do like the green more with miniSpartan3 :)

DogP
    Participant

Great to hear things are moving along, and yeah, the green soldermask looks great. Any update on shipping? Every day I open the mailbox hoping to find it there… but it hasn’t showed up yet. 😉

Thanks,
    DogP

Ingmar Guillaume
    Participant

It’s weird to see that there is actually an admin alive. Maybe he can answer a few outstanding issues on the IDE?

DogP
    Participant

I got a tracking number today, and it looks like it’s on its way… yay! I’ll be sure to post as soon as I get it and try it out.

Is there any documentation/sample code available for it yet? Maybe even just a .ucf?

DogP

DogP
    Participant

My miniSpartan3 arrived today… yay! It looks great… I’m really looking forward to using it. I plugged the board in, ran xc3sprog, and it was correctly detected, so that’s good.

Can you post the pinout, a .ucf, and/or a sample project? Obviously I can figure out the pinouts with an ohmmeter if I have to, but it seems that shouldn’t be necessary.

I spent a little bit of time tonight modifying my 3D printed miniSpartan6+ case design for the miniSpartan3, so I’ll post it to Thingiverse in the next day or so.

Thanks,
    DogP

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

DogP
    Participant

I guess I’m talking to myself again. 😉 I posted the 3D printed enclosure design to Thingiverse here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1036224 .

I’ve also quickly begun looking into pinouts and stuff. I’ve come across one thing that I don’t understand. The EEPROM looks to be connected incorrectly. It has VCC connected to pins 3 and 6 and GND connected to pin 7. It looks like it was designed for an EEPROM like the AT45DB rather than the MX25 that was populated. Can someone confirm that?

For the time being, I desoldered the chip from my board. I had already powered it up, so the EEPROM may be dead, though it probably doesn’t matter since I think it needs to be replaced with a chip like this one: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AT45DB041E-SHN-B/1265-1066-5-ND/4340614 . That’s a 4Mbit EEPROM, like this came with… I think the XC3S50A could use a 1Mbit, and the XC3S200A could use a 2Mbit… though the price difference isn’t that big. I wouldn’t recommend using the board with this EEPROM connected… hopefully it wouldn’t damage anything other than the EEPROM, but it may overload one or more of the FPGA pins as well.

DogP

DogP
    Participant

Oh… anyway, I just modified led_test from: http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/MiniSpartan6%2B_bringup for the miniSpartan3, and loaded it with xc3sprog, and it works!

I attached the project, source, and bitfile (for the XC3S200A), in case anyone else would like a (very simple) kickstart.

DogP

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

jerson
    Participant

Hi,

I really think that someone from Scarab Hardware should upload any file/documentation about the miniSpartan3. Just a simple schematic is going to be appreciated a lot.

Honestly, I kept going back to this site hoping to see a schematic. I do not want to buy the board without having any idea about the board aside from what I see from the images posted on the product page.

Also, it is a little bit discouraging to buy anything from Scarab Hardware as I do not see any active product support from them. It’s really a shame because I believe that the miniSpartan3/6+ boards look really great.

@DogP
    I really hope that you’ll have great success with your board.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  jerson.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.