HDMI_in_out not working

Home Forums miniSpartan6+ hardware design HDMI_in_out not working

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mantissa 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

nicolaje
    Participant

Hi,

I received a minispartan6+ LX25 board, and the HDMI_out example from https://github.com/scarabhardware/miniSpartan6-plus works great.

However, the HDMI_in_out example doesn’t work. As an input, I connected:

– a TV tuner, trying several resolutions including 720p@50Hz and 720p@60Hz
    – an Apple TV 4, trying several resolutions including 720@60Hz and 720p@60Hz, and colors: YCbCr, RGB”up”, RGB”down”
    – a computer, trying several resolutions

without success. With the TV Tuner set at 720p@60Hz however, the “no signal” message on the TV disappears and reappears every 5 seconds or so, as if the TV was trying to get in sync with a signal.

I also tried that version with an EDID https://github.com/roman3017/miniSpartan6-plus

this time with the PC acting as a source, I could get a noisy, black and white screen extensio on the TV, but nothing with the TV Tuner or Apple TV.

Do you have any idea what I could do to get the HDMI_in_out work, just as a pass-through as it is supposed to be?

I am thinking maybe it has to do with the “invert” pins in the dvi_in.vhd, or the comment line 260 “Works with Western Digital Live @ 640×480/60Hz”.

mantissa
    Participant

I was unable to ‘compile’ this application with the Xilinx ISE (14.7), so you got a lot further than me!`

I was able to program the HDMI out example using the bit file which comes with the Github clone and i was also able to ‘compile’ this example to produce a bit file which worked as well – so that was encouraging.

When I try to compile the HDMI in/out project though, I get the following error from dvd_in.vhd at the synthesis stage

WARNING:HDLCompiler:946 – “C:\Users\jash\Documents\GitHub\miniSpartan6-plus\projects\HDMI_in_out_lx25\HDMI_in_out\dvi_in.vhd” Line 477: Actual for formal port red_p is neither a static name nor a globally static expression
    WARNING:HDLCompiler:946 – “C:\Users\jash\Documents\GitHub\miniSpartan6-plus\projects\HDMI_in_out_lx25\HDMI_in_out\dvi_in.vhd” Line 478: Actual for formal port green_p is neither a static name nor a globally static expression
    WARNING:HDLCompiler:946 – “C:\Users\jash\Documents\GitHub\miniSpartan6-plus\projects\HDMI_in_out_lx25\HDMI_in_out\dvi_in.vhd” Line 479: Actual for formal port blue_p is neither a static name nor a globally static expression
    WARNING:HDLCompiler:946 – “C:\Users\jash\Documents\GitHub\miniSpartan6-plus\projects\HDMI_in_out_lx25\HDMI_in_out\dvi_in.vhd” Line 480: Actual for formal port blank is neither a static name nor a globally static expression

I had turned to these projects to start as I wasn’t having much luck with the neppielight (ambilight http://zerocharactersleft.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/diy-fpga-based-hdmi-ambient-lighting.html?m=1) project with regard to getting a monitor to sync to the output from the minispartan board. Seeing comments regarding the WD Live TV HD, I have bought one on Ebay in an attempt to get some ‘firm ground’ from which to make progress – will have that in a day or two.

I rather suspect that there are a number of timing issues to be resolved….

What version of ISE did you use to compile the HDMI_in_out project?

nicolaje
    Participant

Hi,

I am using the 14.7 ISE too, and had to remove the “work” directory from the project to be able to build it. You also have to check if you are using the 64/32bits version of the ISE.

I was also thinking of ordering a WD Live TV HD to have some “firm ground”, can you post your progress once you have tested it?

mantissa
    Participant

Hi – thanks for coming back on this.

Currently I’ve been using a raspberry pi as a source as it seems very configurable with regard to the HDMI output. I tried the EDID project you linked to in your original post and had my best success yet – although I never got it to sync with anything other than 720 X 460 (I don’t have it in front of me, so can’t recall exactly) which is the mode the monitor reported when the raspberry pi boots up. Not sure if you are familiar with the Pi, but there is an initial colour spectrum ‘splash’ screen, followed by the usual Linux text boot up screen. Bizarrely both these modes were displayed on my monitor when using the EDID code, but when the Pi finally booted into the graphical desktop the monitor reported a lack of signal, even when I forced it into the same output mode that the monitor reported displaying (from the initial start up screens). That was a bit puzzling.]

I shall have the WD Live box on Tuesday so will report back when I have tried that.

Thanks for the tip on the HDMI in/out project, I will take a second look at that.

mantissa
    Participant

If you have the chance to buy a WD Live TV HD – do it.

This is the firm ground you’ve been looking for.

Powered it up and it works straight away. I did have a colour cast on the output when I first used it, but I think that was a colour coding issue, once I set it to RGB (via the fairly comprehensive settings menu) it worked a treat. `

So far I have only tried the neppielight (DIY ambilight) project, but I will do more to investigate the other HDMI_in_out projects that are out there. I have also only tried 720p 50 & 60Hz options.

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.