Anyone having success programming SPI Flash on miniSpartan6+?

Home Forums miniSpartan6+ hardware design Anyone having success programming SPI Flash on miniSpartan6+?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rawilsoniii 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rawilsoniii
    Participant

I’ve been successfully using xc3sprog.exe to upload my .bit file into the Spartan6 SLX25 on my miniSpartan6+. However, I have been unsuccessful in programming the SPI Flash. I have tried using the bscan_spi_xc6slx25.bit file for the FPGA, but the Flash ID comes back as 0xFF, hence, nothing is getting through. A little more looking at this bit file indicates it was built for a different package. I rebuilt it with a new *.ucf for the 3FTG256 package and still got a 0xFF response. I found a copy of Xilinx’s xc6slx25_spi.cor file used by the Xilinx iMPACT tool. Using this with xc3sprog.exe I at least got something back – “66”. Unfortunately, this is an illegal ID. The proper ID for Macronix 0xC2. So, I am still unable to program the SPI Flash. Has anyone had success programming the SPI flash on a miniSpartan6+ with the SLX25 FPGA? Using what bit file for the FPGA? If now with xc3sprog, then with what other programming software? I have also installed the D2xx drivers for the FTDI USB->JTAG device, but I cannot get iMPACT to recognize the COM3 (or 4) port that these get assigned to. Other ideas?????????? anyone??????

ajeandet
    Participant

Hi I took somewhere in the forum this bitstream.

And to flash with xc3sprog I do the following:

xc3sprog -c ftdi -p0 bscan_spi_s6lx25_ftg256.bit
    xc3sprog -c ftdi -I my_bitstream.bit

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  ajeandet.

rawilsoniii
    Participant

Excellent! Thanks! This did it. A google search turned up the bit file in hamsterworks.com (http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/File:Bscan_spi_s6lx9_ftg256.zip for the SLX9 and http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/File:Bscan_spi_s6lx25_ftg256.zip for the SLX25).
    Thank you!

rawilsoniii
    Participant

For those interested, I have put this together in a simple GUI (Windows), including the xc3sprog.exe and the bit files for both the xls9 and xls25 versions. You can download and install from: http://rawilson.net/shareware/miniSpartan/miniSpartanProgrammer.zip. To the Scarab development team – feel free to copy that file and put it on your downloads page. To use this, download and unzip. Copy/save the xc3sprog.exe and bit files. Run setup.exe to install the GUI. The GUI simply asks you to browse to the exe, your FPGA bit file and, if programming the SPI Flash, the FPGA JTAG-to-SPI interface bit-bang file. Works for me. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.